Background and Competition overview:
Every year, the African statistical community celebrates the African Statistics Day (ASD) with the objective of raising public awareness about the importance of statistics in the economic and social development of the continent. The decision of celebrating ASD every year was taken since 1990 by the twenty-fifth session of the United Nations Economic for Africa and the Sixteenth Meeting of African ministers responsible for Economic Planning and development.
In Rwanda, under the guidance and coordination of the National Institute of Statistics of Rwanda (NISR), the day will be marked with a number of events. It is in this context that, for the sixth time, NISR is organizing a competition to invite graduate and postgraduate students of educational institutions of higher learning (both public and private) in Rwanda to produce winning static and dynamic infographics by participating in the NISR Infographic Competition 2017.
‘Infographics’ (or Information Graphics) are graphic, visual representations of data and information. They come extremely handy when it is required to explain complex information, numbers or data rather quickly and effectively. A great infographic can render complicated information easily understandable and engrossing.
The infographic should describe the Labor Market in Rwanda
Source of Data for the competition:
Static infographics sholde be submitted through online form in NISR website, and dropbox link for corresponding dynamic infographic will be sent to email@example.com .
The Judges will review entries and evaluate them based on the following criteria:
- Relevancy to the competition message
- Story line (The narrative character of the infographic)
- Design & Hierarchy (appropriate representation of different data levels, including clear leading piece of data)
- Creativity and originality
- Innovativeness (Out of the box thinking)
- Informative Visualizations (Full on information)
- Distinct Point of View (Uniqueness)
- Creativity & Originality
- Share ability (format, size, openness etc. to be optimum to ease public access)
- Statistical conceptualization (Clear statistical understanding)
First prize: Apple computers to each members of the team placed first.
Second prize: Sumsung Galaxy ,
Third prize: Samsung Galaxy
Note: The top three teams will be eligible for paid internship at the National Institute of Statistics of Rwanda (NISR) upon completion of their education.
- Initially, in the competition is invited only from teams of 2 students from the same university/college. After the first evaluation, teams of four will be constituted during coaching period.
- A student who was part of top five teams in the previous infographic competitions is not allowed to participate.
- The teams must be approved by the institution
- Teams with gender balance are encouraged
- Only one static infographic entry with corresponding dynamic infographic per team are allowed.
- Static infographic entries should be in the format of either PDF or image-minimum resolution must be 640 pixels wide, and 3000 pixels tall maximum. Maximum file size is 4MBs.
- A short description (200-300 words) of the infographic with the entry is required.
- A dropbox link for corresponding dynamic infographic is also required to be inserted in online entry submission form. The voice over in dynamic infographic video should be with appropriate pacing, clarity and flexibility, with impeccable enunciation, and natural articulateness.
- All entries should be in English
- Please ensure that all images and your infographic video are available under a creative commons license or permission has been obtained.
- By entering the competition, the entrants agree to grant permission to NISR to use and reproduce their work, with appropriate acknowledgement.
- Registration of teams and submission of both dynamic and statics infographics will happen only through NISR website on the provided link below
- Top 15 entries will be recognized and showcased on the NISR’s website and at the venue of award ceremony. The teams are expected to present their work to the audiences.
- INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY: In submitting their entry to NISR the team must declare that the infographic being submitted is their own work, and all sources of reference are acknowledged in full. They must also certify that all images in infographic are either available under a creative commons license or permission has been obtained.
- By submitting the entry, the teams grant to NISR an irrevocable, perpetual and royalty-free right to use, reproduce, edit, display, transmit, prepare derivative work, modify, publish and otherwise make use of the submitted work or other information in any and all media, whether now known or hereinafter created, throughout the World and for any purpose, in addition to the right to resize, crop, censor, compress, edit, feature, caption, affix logos to, and otherwise alter or make use of the submitted work.
- Registration of teams with NISR by 23rd October 2017
- Submission of entries to NISR by 12th November 2017
- Notifications to the selected teams on 16th November 2017
- Coaching period from 20-24th November 2017
- Notification to the winners by 4th December 2017
- Award/Certificate of recognition will be issued on 12th December 2017
Previous competition can be viewed here
Phone number: +250 788616735