The National Institute of Statistics of Rwanda (NISR) has now been up and running since 2005. It was created to replace the former Department of Statistics in the Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning (MINECOFIN). NISR is semi autonomous and is governed by a Board of Directors. The government provides oversight on its activities through a performance contract with MINECOFIN.
The National Institute of Statistics of Rwanda is mandated to produce official statistics through surveys, censuses and other data collection systems to support monitoring and evaluation of various government programmes, such Economic Development and Poverty Reduction Strategy (EDPRS), Vision 2020, Sector Development Strategies, and global 2030 agenda ( Sustainable Development Goals). The institute is also mandated to build the statistical capacity the National Statistical System (NSS), including NISR in various statistical domains to ensure that statistics are produced, disseminated and used following international standards and best practices.
To achieve these, the institute and the NSS should be equipped with both hands on and conceptual skills in the different phases of data production, data management and data analysis and use in different socio-economic domains that the current National Strategy for the Development of Statistics (NSDS2) is covering. With these, then the National Institute of Statistics of Rwanda (NISR) and the National Statistical System (NSS) will be able to strengthen its capacity and respond to the increasing demand for statistics, not only inside the country, but also globally.
It is in this context that the NISR would like to hire an international expert to support NISR in building the statistical capacity for NISR and NSS staff through various short missions upon NISR request to be able to achieve its goals.
The National Institute of Statistics of Rwanda now invites eligible Individual Consultants to express their interest in providing the required services. Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services. The short listing / selection criteria will be based on the following; the desired consultant must have the following:
The international expert must have:
- PhD or Master’sDegree in Statistics or demography field with at least 10 years of experience in designing and implementing households and business surveys; development of master samples, development of statistical compendiums, data quality assessment frameworks, estimation of demographic indicators including population projections, etc. in African countries, especially Sub-Saharan Africa. Working experience in Rwanda will be an advantage.
- Demonstrated ability and at least 10 years of experience in surveys (households, business/establishments) and censuses data analysis, and conducting trainings for professional statisticians and demographers;
- Demonstrated ability and at least 10 years of experience in managing large statistical projects, preferably in National Statistical Offices;
- Fluency in English is required;
- Excellent abilities in the use of statistical packages (SPSS, STATA, CSPro, etc);
- Ability to work under busy working environment.
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultant Selection method set out in the Rwandan Public Procurement Laws and Regulations as updated and modified to date.
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should submit their applications including:
- A motivation letter highlighting how they meet the above;
- A detailed CV clearly indicating Consultant’s profile and the competence to conduct the assignments mentioned above;
- Brief note/description of how the assignments briefly described in section 3 (of the tems of reference to be found on NISR website) will be done (2-3 pages);
- Three references where particular assignment has been conducted;
- Copies of Academic documents.
All applications/Expressions of Interest should be submitted to the Central Secretariat of the NISR and should be addressed to
The Director General,
National Institute Of Statistics of Rwanda (NISR),
Avenue de la Paix, former MINIPLAN Building,
Muhima (Nyarugenge District)
P.O. Box 6139 Kigali.
NOTE: Electronic applications will ALSO be accepted
The outer cover for envelope shall be clearly marked: REQUEST FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST (EOI) N0.045/2016-2017/IC-NISR/SMRP UNIT/NSDS2 BF OR DFID BUDGET
The deadline for submission of expression of interest will be not later than 17th March, 2017 at 10:00 hours Kigali time, 8:00 GMT.
For the detailed Terms of Reference for this assignment with specific objectives and scope of the tasks, Key outputs and deliverables, Specific Tasks/activities, Timing, Competence and Qualifications and other requirements, please visit NISR website and DG market website
Done at Kigali, on 21st February, 2017.
Alphonse SHUMBUSHO David NKUSI
SPIU Procurement Specialist & Procurement Team Leader Head of Corporate Services