1. Background and Justification
The National Institute of Statistics of Rwanda is mandated to produce official statistics through surveys, censuses and other data collection systems to support monitoring and evaluation of various government programmes, such Economic Development and Poverty Reduction Strategy (EDPRS), Vision 2020, Sector Development Strategies, and global 2030 agenda ( Sustainable Development Goals). The institute is also mandated to build the statistical capacity the National Statistical System (NSS), including NISR in various statistical domains to ensure that statistics are produced, disseminated and used following international standards and best practices.
To achieve these, the institute and the NSS should be equipped with both hands on and conceptual skills in the different phases of data production, data management and data analysis and use in different socio-economic domains that the current National Strategy for the Development of Statistics (NSDS2) is covering. With these, then the National Institute of Statistics of Rwanda (NISR) and the National Statistical System (NSS) will be able to strengthen its capacity and respond to the increasing demand for statistics, not only inside the country, but also globally.
It is in this context that the NISR would like to hire an international expert to support NISR in building the statistical capacity for NISR and NSS staff through various short missions upon NISR request to be able to achieve its goals.
2. Overall Objectives of the assignment
The overall objective of the assignment of the international expert is to support NISR in building the statistical capacity of NISR and NSS staff through both hands on and conceptual manner in different areas of statistics at different stages of data production, data management, data analysis and use.
3. Scope of the assignment and activities
The scope of work for the international expert for statistical capacity building will include, but not limited to:
- Support the NISR in building the statistical capacity of NISR and NSS staff households and business surveys sample design and weighting procedures;
- Support NISR in building the statistical capacity of NISR and NSS staff in data quality assurances techniques and approaches during data collection of households and business surveys or censuses;
- Support NISR in building the statistical capacity of NISR and NSS staff in various techniques and approaches for data analysis of householdand business surveys or censuses;
- Support NISR in building the statistical capacity of NISR and NSS staff in various techniques and approaches for statistical report writing;
- Support NISR in building the statistical capacity of NISR and NSS staff in various concepts and methodologies used in the production of official statistics.
4. Key deliverables
The international expert will provide the following deliverables, but not limited to:
- Inception report
- Report on the capacity building support provided to NISR for each mission
5. Responsibilities of NISR in relation to the assignment
The NISR will provide a well-equipped office with computer and internet connection during the execution of the assignments. There will always be a team of NISR staff (counterparts) who will work closely with the expert to allow skills transfer to NISR staff.
6. Reporting arrangements and overall coordination
The international expert for statistical capacity building will report directly to the Director of Statistical Methods, Research and Publication who will be the overall coordinator of all activities related to this assignment, and report directly to the Director General of NISR.
The National Institute for Statistics of Rwanda (NISR) will share documents and tools that the expert will need to be able to carry out his/her assignments. For any statistical capacity building and support to be provided, the expert will be required to prepare the manual/report related to the assignment for future references. It is also expected that these assignments will be carried out through different missions in the country who timelines and duration will be discussed and agreed upon between the expert and NISR.
8. Duration of the assignments
The assignments shall run for a period of one (1) year renewable only once and are planned to start with effect from mid April 2017.
9. Competence and Qualifications
The international expert must have:
- PhD or Master’sDegree in Statistics or demography field with at least 10 years of experience in designing and implementing households and business surveys; development of master samples, development of statistical compendiums, data quality assessment frameworks, estimation of demographic indicators including population projections, etc. in African countries, especially Sub-Saharan Africa. Working experience in Rwanda will be an advantage.
- Demonstrated ability and at least 10 years of experience in surveys (households, business/establishments) and censuses data analysis, and conducting trainings for professional statisticians and demographers;
- Demonstrated ability and at least 10 years of experience in managing large statistical projects, preferably in National Statistical Offices;
- Fluency in English is required;
- Excellent abilities in the use of statistical packages (SPSS, STATA, CSPro, etc);
- Ability to work under busy working environment.
Director of Statistical Methods, Research and Publication (SMRP)